Saturday, June 4, 2011

Starting Over

So, remember that piece that I was working on in my last post...well, I wasn't completely pleased with how it was turning out, so I decided to start it over. The paper I was working on was too big and just wrong, and I wasn't feeling good about it. When I looked at the piece and then looked at the photograph, I just wasn't feeling it. It didn't have the right emotion to me. And it felt a little forced. Of course, these all could just be my perfectionist tendencies coming through, but I felt the painting was headed in the wrong direction, so I started it over again.

I had mentioned that I was having trouble getting back into rendered paintings because I hadn't done them in a while. I think the main problem for me in that painting was I hadn't drawn out in pencil all the forms correctly, looking at them closely, studying them. So I started over, on my small hot press block. This time, I looked at each form closely and drew it out in pencil, but was careful not to make it look too mechanical. One of the things about my work, is that I don't want it to look like I drew the lines with a ruler.
It may not be important for everyone to draw out every little detail when they start a painting, but it was for me for this because I wanted to get it right. Not hyper-realistic right, but I didn't want the painting to lack anything, even though it is small. I want this to be, like, this precious little painting because the memories I have of Maine are precious. If that makes any sense whatsoever.

Then I made a decision to use Walnut ink in this piece. The last time I used Walnut in was in Watercolor 202 last Fall semester. I have no clue why I haven't used it since. It is wonderful. It gives kind of an antiqued look to a painting and is remarkable (as I realized when I did my Briar Rose piece) for rendering woodgrain! Well, what is more woodgrainy than an old wooden barn in Maine?
And of course, I do plan to go over this with water and paint once I am done inking. I like how it is turning out so far.

Let me know what you all think.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way this is headed. I especially like the punch that you get with the intense ink in the window against the white of the paper. Hopefully you won't lose that contrast as you develop the piece. I look forward to seeing the Maine pieces finished! Mbk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, yeah I'm hoping not to lose any contrast as well.

    ReplyDelete