Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happy New Year!

Hi there! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and a fantastic New Year!

Sorry again for my lack of updates, but now that Christmas is over, I wanted to show you the gift(s) I painted for my dad. My dad is a card collector and one of the types of cards he collects are called sketch cards. They are cards with sketches on them (I guess as the name might imply) done by artists of tv characters, movie characters, whoever. My dad didn't want me to spend any money on him this year for Christmas, so I decided I would do a few sketch cards for him. I used a theme of his favorite tv characters and I thought I'd show them here.

Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

for each card, I sketched out the portrait in pencil then inked it with the 005 Micron, as well as outlining each silhouette with the Sakura Brush pen. I wanted a sort of emphasis there. I have been reading graphic novels lately (the Jane Austen ones by Nancy Butler, if you must know) and I noticed that the illustrators (like Janet K. Lee) often use a heavier line to outline. I liked the way it looked, so I tried to incorporate that with my style. For color, I used a monochromatic approach with a simple wash of watercolor and a little bit of walnut ink for some added tone. I tried to match each color to the character being presented.

Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead

Walter White from Breaking Bad

Dexter from, well, Dexter

Violet Harmon from American Horror Story

These were actually really fun to make. I might do some Doctor Who ones in the future since that is my favorite show. My dad really loved these too. It goes to show that you don't need to spend a ton of money on a gift that someone will love, and it shows that I can paint more than just teapots and cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment